dal makhani recipe | restaurant style dal makhani recipe with video recipe. dal makhnai one of the favourite dal recipes coming straight from the rich and flavourful punjabi cuisine. more often this dal recipe is served with plain rice or jeera rice, however this can also be served with rotis and garlic butter naans. dal makhnai recipe, was hugely popularised by the migrating punjabi community within india and across the globe.
dal makhani is creamy dal prepared with black urad dal has been widely embraced globally. an ideal dal recipe which taste’s great when served with jeera rice or roti. basically it is prepared with the combination of black urad dal and rajma beans or kidney beans. both the grains are slow cooked in a pot and added with cream or malai which adds the richness to this black dal recipe.
The traditional preparation of dal makhani involves a series of time-consuming procedures, which can take up to 24 hours to complete. With the availability of modern cooking equipment, namely electric pressure cookers, the preparation time of the dish has reduced significantly to 2–3 hours. I started using my electric pressure cooker to prepare Dal Makhani in just one single pot. And to reduce cooking time almost 30-40%, I prefer to soak beans, legumes and lentils. You can follow the recipe below to prepare traditional way. But if you want to prepare in pressure cooker, watch my video.
- 1 cup whole urad dal (black lentils)
- 1/4 cup rajma (red kidney beans)-Ready canned kidney beans can be used
- to save some time.
- 1/4 cup channa dal (Bengal gram dal, also Ok to use chickpeas/garbanzo beans)
- 11/2 tsp ginger , peeled
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- 2 green chillies
- salt to taste
- for tadka
- 11/2 tbsp ghee or Makhan (butter)
- 1 tspn cumin
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- pinch asafoetida powder
- 1 cup tomato paste or puree
- Chopped Onions : 2 medium -Optional-if you don’t add onion , still
- it will taste great. I just add onion paste or powder if I have.
- to finish
- 1/4 cup butter or Makhan (For vegan, you can use soy butter)
- 1/4 cup cream (For vegan, use Soy cream)
- 1/2 tspn or more chilli powder
- 1/2 tspn garam masala