sheer khurma recipe | easy shir qurma recipe | sheer korma recipe with step by step photo and video recipe. this is delicious dessert made during the holy month of ramadan in hyderabad. sheer korma is a must in iftar meal as it is a source of energy and nutrients. traditionally, it is made using only dates, without adding any sugar. however, in this recipe i have added sugar.
sheer khurma is prepared using milk, ghee, dates, nuts and vermicelli. sheer khurma is prepared mostly by muslims during the fasting days of ramadan and on eid celebrations.
according to wikipedia, sheer khurma means milk with dates. this special dish is served on the morning of eid day in the family after the eid prayer, as breakfast, and to guests. it is a festival vermicelli pudding prepared on eid ul-fitr. sheer is persian for milk and khurma is persian for dates. today we will learn how to make sheer khurma following this easy recipe with video and step wise pictures.
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 cup broken seviyan / whole wheat vermicelli
- 10 cashews
- 10 almonds
- 10 unsalted pistachios
- 5 dates seedless
- ½ or 1 tbsp chironji / charoli
- fistful raisins
- 4 cups full fat milk
- 1 cup sugar or as required
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- saffron threads
- soak cashew nuts, chironji, pistachios, almonds in warm water for 10-15 mins and remove the skin. later cut cashew nuts, pistachios, almonds, dates into thin slices and keep aside. (i have skipped chironji as it was not available in my kitchen)
- add a tsp of ghee and roast the seviyan till golden and keep aside.
- in the same pan, heat ghee and add soaked – chopped dry fruits and saute for 3-4 minutes stirring often.
- now add milk and bring to a boil. lower the flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the milk slightly thickens.
- add the roasted seviyan and give a good stir. simmer till the seviyan are cooked.
- and sugar to the milk and cook for 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- the milk will also thicken and reduce in volume. if you prefer it to be more thick then simmer for another 10 minutes.
- add the roasted dry fruit mixture and cardamom powder.
- switch off the flame and stir. add more sugar if required.
- serve the sheer khurma hot, warm or chilled.